A STUDENT PARADISE
Located in the heart of natural blessings and bounties, The Turkish Republic of North Cyprus is a smiling and scenic place including many other walks of life The Republic has very rich history in the field of education also.
It always adds to our knowledge when we go through the pages of a book, but the physical presence, tour, observation and interactions, present the true picture of a phenomenon or an event.
The North Cyprus Ambassador invited and sponsored a delegation of the ‘Education Scenario International’ to visit the universities of the North Cyprus in order to study various aspects of Higher Education, particularly, for the Pakistani students. The delegation spent fifteen days in North Cyprus, visited the Universities, interacted with the community and also enjoyed site seeing.
It was an amazing experience and the delegation found it ideally suitable for the Pakistani Students. We also met the students from Pakistan, who were found fully satisfied and stress free.
Why so? It is a manifold question. When one leaves his home and goes abroad, he is always under stress due to many factors. These factors include fear of alienation, isolation, financial burden, acceptability by the strange society, climatic conditions, social temperament and many other things. Well! If we honestly talk about North Cyprus, we would be justified to say that this Islamic Republic is ideally suited for the Pakistani Students. The over dominating factor is that it is an Islamic country and its people have very strong and historical bonds with the people of Pakistan. Hence, the students from Pakistan are always given a very warm welcome by the masses, teachers and fellow students. Hilal food is all around and cost of living is very reasonable.
Tuition fees and other expenditures, relating education are within easily manageable limits. The Higher Education standard meets the requirements of the global demands and the degrees are acceptable by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan, whereas, degrees from many big countries are not accepted by the HEC. It is a very hospitable and crime free society, where one feels absolutely safe and stress free. The fear of home sickness is eliminated by the conducive social atmosphere.
Whereas, the education and dwelling is already cost effective, all the Higher Education Institutions offer scholarships to the students from third world countries. These scholarships include tuition fees, lodging, books and monthly allowance also. The scholarships can be granted, both on academic performance as well as, on request for which the students can apply to the Ministry of Education and culture or TRNC Deputy Prime Ministry and Foreign affairs for evaluation in the scholarship committee Climatic conditions are also very moderate.
TRNC has been second home of the Pakistani students and over the years a proper Pakistani community has come up. As far as the infrastructure and teaching atmosphere is concerned, all universities have up-dated academic facilities, equipped with the most modern equipment and the faculty extends complete devotion and free access to the students. It would not be exaggeration to say that the teachers give the impression of guardians also. Well! To cut it short, the Muslim republic of North Cyprus is an ideal place for the Pakistani students, from all angles.
The Universities also offer scholarships directly. The addresses of all the universities are given in the article. You can directly get the required information which also saves you from the lusty and false agents. If you still need more information you may contact the ‘Education Scenario International’. We will be too glad to provide you any required information.
- There are more than 10 universities in North Cyprus located in different cities, offer higher education from Vocation School (Associate Degree) to Post-Graduate Degree (PhD).
- Medium of instruction in the universities is English. However, there are some departments that are though in Turkish.
Universities in Turkish Republic of North Cyprus (TRNC)
Some of the universities and contact details are
Cyprus International University (CIU)
Haspolat, Nicosia North Cyprus Mersin 10 Turkey
Tel: +90 (392) 671 1111 Fax: +90 (392) 671 1122
Eastern Mediterranean University
Famagusta North Cyprus via Mersin 10, Turkey
Tel : +90 (392) 630 2444 Fax: +90 (392) 630 4033
E-mail: e- email@example.com Web:www.emu.edu.tr
European University of Lefke
Tel: +90 (392) 660 2000 extension: 2220 / 2120 / 2275 / 2339
Fax: +90 (392) 727 7572 / 392 727 7528
Girne American University
Univeristy Drive Girne North Cyprus Mersin 10 Turkey
Tel: +90 (392) 650 2000 Fax: +90 (392) 650 2061
Istanbul Technical University (ITU)
Namık Kemal Mah., Fazıl Polat Paşa Bulvarı, Famagusta-/ T.R.N.C. Mersin 10 Turkey
Tel: +90 (392) 630 50 00 Fax: +90 (392) 366 77 30
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org Web :www.kktc.itu.edu.tr
Middle East Technical University (METU)
Northern Cyprus Campus, Kalkanlı, Morphou, North Cyprus Mersin 10 Turke
Tel: +90 (392) 661 20 07 (09-10) Fax: +90 (392) 661 2009
Near East University (NEU)
Near East Boulevard P.O. Box: 922022, Nicosia
Turkish Replublic of Northern Cyprus Via Mersin 10 – TURKEY
Fax (+90 392 680 2043)
Email it to email@example.com Web:www.neu.edu.tr
The University of Mediterranean Karpasia (UMK)
Şht. Mustafa Ruso Cad. No:79 K.Kaymaklı / Lefkoşa / KKTC
Nicosia – North Cyprus via Mersin 10 TURKEY
Tel: +90 (392) 2273362-63 Fax: +90 (392) 2293104
When applying to any of the university the following documents are essential:
- Completed application form.
- Copies of all academic certificates, records and transcripts.
- Evidence of English competence with sufficient score, if available; if not, then the student will be tested upon arrival. Every university offer English Foundation Program for the students whose knowledge of English language is not at the require level.
- Photocopy of the passport.
- Bank Reference Letter.
Copies are accepted at the beginning stage. However, upon arrival students will need to submit original documents to the Admissions Office of the related university. Unless documents are submitted, students cannot finalize the registration procedure.
NOTE: Please note that academic documents have to be attested by the Higher Education Council the Representative Office of the TRNC in Islamabad.
- COSTS AND SCHOLARSHIPS IN NORTH CYPRUS
- Costs of living in North Cyprus
- A student’s personal spending would be around 300-500 Euros per month (excluding university fee, accommodation).
- Costs of living in North Cyprus
- Scholarships granted by the TRNC to students from third countries (other than TRNC and Turkey) include tuition, lodging, books and allowance per month. TRNC Ministry of National Education and Culture or TRNC Deputy Prime Ministry and Foreign Affairs evaluate scholarship applications. The meetings are held twice a year, prior to the beginning of each semester, or as decided. All scholarship issues (i.e. evaluation of applications, extension/termination of scholarships) are to be discussed and decided by the Scholarship Committee. Students can contact and forward any written request to the TRNC Ministry of National Education and Culture or TRNC Deputy Prime Ministry and Foreign Affairs for evaluation in the Scholarship Committee. For more details please visit mebnet.net However, students must be registered to a TRNC university before applying for a scholarship.
- Students can be granted scholarships based on their academic performance. Please inquiry to the university interested in for more detailed information.
- All universities in TRNC provide dormitories for students. Newly registered students are highly advised to stay at the university’s accommodation at least for the first year of their studies in TRNC. However, private accommodation is available around the cities.
- North Cyprus fact file
Cyprus is situated at the cross point of 35°N latitude and 33°E longitude.
Lefkosa (Nicosia) is the capital of both sides of the Cyprus.
Climate of Northern Cyprus is typical Mediterranean. It has dry, long summers, and warm, short, light rainy winters.
Main cities are:
- Lefkosa (Nicosia)
- Girne (Kyrenia)
- Famagusta (Gazimagusa)
The approximate population is 265.000.
The official language is Turkish. English language is widely spoken.
The Turkish Lira (TL) is the currency used in North Cyprus. Foreign currencies and travellers’ cheques are accepted in banks and exchange offices. Most credit cards are valid in many places, but bank charges may apply in some places.
For international calls dial 00 90 392 followed by the number in TRNC.
240 Volts. Plugs are in English standards.
- Travel to North Cyprus
- Flights to Northern Cyprus are conducted via Turkey. Students are advised to obtain a transit visa to Turkey from the nearest Turkish Embassy. However, students located close to Islamabad – Pakistan; Baku – Azerbaijan and Abu-Dhabi – UAE can obtain a clearance document that will help to enter TRNC. No visa required for the entrance to TRNC, however, students must have an original copy of the Acceptance Letter issued and sent by a university.
- Students can do their flight booking via Turkish Airlines transit from Istanbul. Providing that students do not leave transit region in Turkey, then no entry visa to Turkey will be required.
- The final destination of arrival should be Ercan Airport located 10 km away from the capital of Cyprus – Lefkosa (Nicosia).